The state’s best rodeo, a carnival, rides, market in the park, hometown parade, race (and/0r) walk across Grand Coulee Dam, a beer tent, plus hundreds of miles of undeveloped beaches on crystal clear lakes.
Let’s see what am I forgetting … oh, a TON of fun to be had this week and weekend in the big coulee at Colorama.
Local residents and visitors will be treated to the 56th Annual Colorama Festival celebration, beginning Thursday with the opening of the carnival and ending Saturday evening.
Events include the Ridge Rider Pro-West Rodeo Friday evening and Saturday, the Colorama Parade at 11 a.m. Saturday, the vendor fair at North Dam Park, Friday and Saturday; helicopter rides Friday and Saturday, the Paradise Amusement Carnival, Thursday at 3 p.m. and Friday and Saturday; the sale of Colorama buttons and gear; and a beer garden under the tent at the tennis courts at North Dam Park.
The 55th Colorama celebration is coming on fast. It begins May 10, with the opening of the Paradise Amusement Carnival and lasts through Sunday with the Cleatis Lacy Memorial Bull Riding event, May 13, at the Ridge Riders Rodeo grounds.
• The carnival kicks off at 5 p.m. Thursday, opens Friday at 3 p.m. for two sessions and again Saturday at 11 a.m. for two sessions.
There are discount tickets at various venues in the area through Thursday. Discount tickets go for $25 for each session (savings of about $10) and are available at The Star newspaper, Chamber of Commerce office, North Cascades National Bank, H&H Grocery and Coulee Dam Federal Credit Union.
• Come to the traditional Arts & Crafts Fair at North Dam Park, opening at 10 a.m. both Friday and Saturday. Don’t worry about lunch because there are a lot of good food booths.
• The Pro-West Rodeo lasts three days this year, with the added Sunday Cleatis Lacy Bull Riding event. The rodeo begins at 6 p.m. Friday, 3 p.m. Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday.
• The Senior Cowboy Breakfast takes off at 7 a.m. Saturday and runs until 10:30 a.m. Better show up and get fed before the big parade.
• The big parade, the highlight of the Colorama celebration, begins at 11 a.m. and travels from Les Schwab on Federal Avenue, then down Midway Avenue.
• The Over the Dam Run, for 5K, 10K and half marathon take off on the east side of Grand Coulee Dam and end up at North Dam Park.
• The popular “Walk Across the Dam” sponsored by the Rotary Club will again be offered as a new-school fund raiser.
• Colorama Buttons are on sale throughout the community. Purchase one for $3 and you could be the winner of several prizes being offered.
• More events: Check out the arm wrestling contest Saturday at Pepper Jack’s. And Curt Davis will play guitar and sing at North Dam Park at 12:30 p.m. Saturday.